It’s important to take excellent care of your skin in the summer (baby oil and a sheer caftan do not constitute sun protection). I’m always test-driving new products, and over the past year, I’ve acquired a few favorites. Below, six items that will keep your complexion clean, healthy and hydrated in the heat.
1. Remede’s Sweep is a super-fine exfoliator that gets the job done without being abrasive. The secret? Its beads are perfectly round, so they scrub away dirt and dead skin cells without damaging your complexion.
2. Bliss Steep Clean Matifying Toner Pads remove excess makeup and give your face a gentle shot of salicylic acid. These little beauties combat blemishes (but they’re not drying!) and help even skin tone. Perfect for summer—show me one person who isn’t a sweaty mess after a scorching subway ride—these pads come in handy after long work days and late nights.
3. Moving on to the motherload: SK-II’s Skin Signature moisturizer. I understand I’m on the low end of the 20-something spectrum, but this formula is like dipping your finger into the f***ing fountain of youth. My face tends to be dry, but I hate heavy lotions. This cream is lightweight, provides lasting moisture, and keeps my skin balanced, firm and smooth. Read about the science behind SK-II here.
4. Eye cream is just as important as all-over moisture. My choice? Phyto-Contour by Yonka. Extracts of rosemary restore firmness and wake up your under-eye area with a cool, refreshing feeling.
5. If you want to de-stress, de-puff, battle dark circles or awaken tired eyes, Thera°Pearl’s Eye-ssential Mask is made for you. This non-toxic item is a must-have because it holds heat (to increase circulation and minimize dark circles) or cool (to constrict blood vessels and reduce puffiness) for the full doctor-recommended 20 minutes. This mask is also insanely comfortable—it’s on standby in my freezer for stressful days.
6. Origins’ Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask is a fixture in my medicine cabinet. After a long week in the city, I need something that rids my skin of environmental toxins. Impurities gravitate towards charcoal like a magnet, so this mask allows your skin to breath and reboot. Removing it after 20 minutes feels like a clean slate for your complexion.